Monday, January 11, 2016

First Week Back


This week in Sustainable Agriculture we came back to what looked like a somewhat destroyed but still thriving farm. With closer inspections of our beds, many of us noticed that their beds has been damaged by wind or pests. In my bed, I noticed that all my kale had been eaten. Also, there were carrots missing in another bed. Mr. Stewart thinks that animals like deer and mice might have been the ones who ate our crops. Wind also affected my bed a fair amount. I noticed that the bell beans do not stand nearly as tall anymore and some of the stocks are completely bent or twisted.
As we are starting a new semester, we are beginning to think of what we want to plant in our beds. Most of what we are going to plant in the winter should be cover crops to help the soil. We do not have too many options for calorie crops during the winter and we do not want to plant too many of them because due to the conditions, crops do not have as much success during the winter. Before break, my group and I planted bell beans where the rutabagas used to be. Bell beans are a legume and therefore a perfect cover crop for the winter.

Al Mindel

No comments:

Post a Comment